Lung detoxification is essential for good health. How you breathe has a profound effect on your life and health. Not only does it change how much oxygen is going into your bodies and how much waste is coming out of your bodies, it also affects heart function, immune system function, mood, stress levels, hormone levels, digestion, strength, endurance and a wide variety of other functions.
In short, how you breathe can influence almost every aspect of your health and well being. So, how do you ensure optimal lung function? You do a lung detox program and incorporate these principles into your every day regimen.
1. Eat a healthy, whole foods diet.
2. Deep breathing - Practice deep relaxed breathing twice daily (before rising in the morning and falling asleep in the evening are often convenient times). The most efficient way for you to breathe is diaphragmatic or belly breathing. This is the predominant method of breathing in healthy infants and young children, but as people get older they tend to breathe using their chest and shoulder muscles and less of their diaphragm.
If belly breathing is practiced regularly it can again become second nature to you. This is also a natural way to reduce stress and improve circulation. The Deep Breathing Detox and Alternating Nostril Breathing exercises below will help you to relearn the most healthful way of breathing.
a. Deep Breathing Detox Technique:
b. Alternating Nostril Breathing: This technique is especially good for those of you who suffer from chronic sinusitis, allergies and lung infections.
3. Exercise - Do aerobic exercise (according to your fitness level.) This may be walking, running, biking, swimming, or aerobic dance, for example. Sessions should last 20 to 45 minutes and be done three to five times weekly. Exercise promotes deep breathing to aid in detoxification.
4. Steam or Sauna - Sit in a sauna for at least 20 minutes each day of your lung detox. This will to allow toxins and mucous to be released from your lungs through excess perspiration / sweating and releasing mucous from your nose and sinuses.
5. Use Herbs and Spices - There are a few herbs and spices / foods that aid in lung detox. These include:
Some of the herbs and spices listed above can be eaten daily and incorporated into your diet like thyme, garlic and ginger. The others can be combined in a Lung Detox tea. Steep one teaspoon of the combined dried herb per cup of boiling water. Drink three cups daily for one to three weeks for lung detoxification.
If you are interested in learning how to detox other organs of elimination click here.